Friday, May 20, 2011

Hello there and good day! I'm the one who messaged you in soompi. Just want to ask here in tumblr in case, :D I've got a few questions to ask if you don't mind. :) I saw some of your post in the "Digital cameras with leica deisgn?" thread and read that you've bought the Pentax Optio I-10. I was wondering did you keep the camera? Or did you returned it to Amazon? Cause actuallly I'm planning to buy one. But I've read mixed reviews in the net and somewhat there are a lot of negative ones than the positive ones. :( I'm hoping you can give a little review on this one. Please? :D Thank you very much! Hope I didn't took much of your time.

Hi :)


Sorry if you sent me new messages and i didn’t respond, it’s because I haven’t been on Soompi in a while.


I enjoyed the i-10 but I chose to return it.  The reason was that i ended up carrying around 2 cameras since the Pentax is like a toy camera with those cool filters, but the image quality is mediocre at best. I figured i could have the same photo effects with the apps that I have on my iPhone so i might as well get the money back and convenience myself.
I wouldn’t pay attention to the customer reviews though.  Those people who whine about it are those who expect SLR quality images from a $99 compact camera.  High expectations only lead to more disappointment and dissatisfaction.  You’ll get decent shots with it and the effects are fun, but the photos are not going to be anywhere as clear and sharp as a Canon or the higher end compacts.  I recommend it if you’re planning to use it for quick snapshots and for nights out like to clubs or something like that where you’ll be taking lots of pictures of people.  If you look at the professional reviews there are a few who gave positive ratings and some with average ratings. I haven’t come across any that are as bad as on Amazon.


Some things I really liked were the filters of course. My favorite were “retro” and “toy camera”.  The flash was just right, it didn’t overexpose people’s faces like the Canons do sometimes.  If you want to take shots of objects, it’s best to do it under good light and having steady hands.  The image stabilizer doesn’t work very well.  The sensor size is quite small but it’s similar to every other budget point and shoot, it’s just that lens on this Pentax isn’t great so you’ll see a lot of noise starting from ISO 400. I found myself using 200 or below but that caused pictures to be underexposed and i don’t have steady hands so most of them came out blurry.  The aesthetics of the camera was what I liked the most, it’s so darn beautiful but there’s a lot of plastic which makes it look cheap.  If i can afford it I would get a real Leica haha.  If you really want to get it then you should because you’ll get to try it out and if you decide you don’t like it you can always return it.  I always return things but that’s because I’m picky lol.

No comments: