Monday, April 4, 2011
blackbrrystone: I get you love books I love them too My room is full of bookshelves and those bookshelves are full of books Ebooks are books too. Sure they come in the form of a file and not pages bound together, but guess what? Amazon sells them for cheap. When I want to get as many books as possible, I could go used, but I can also get an ebook reader and buy lots of cheap ebooks and carry them all around with me. Amazon sells at a higher discount than they buy from publishers. IT’S A PRETTY GOOD DEAL FOR US, THE READERS. Contrary to popular belief, the book is not dead. Ebooks have not killed the book. If you want to argue that Amazon has killed independent bookstores and Borders, that’s a better (and sadder) argument. They have a corner on over half the market now because of their pricing and the ease and selection of online purchase. But goddamn, go look at some stats. The overall sales of books in the US have NOT taken a dive in the past few years. There’s a slight, -3% ish drop in the four major print markets unfortunately but educational publishing is up and EBOOK SALES ARE UP BY OVER A HUNDRED PERCENT. When you take all the sales of books into account- Ebooks are books- the sales of books in this country has been steady. NEVER FLASHY NUMBERS, but there’s no sudden drop. ACTUALLY THE CONTINUING HUGE INCREASE IN THE SALE OF EBOOKS COULD CAUSE A RISE IN OVERALL BOOK PURCHASING. Physical books aren’t going anywhere. Please, people still buy vinyl. The only physical books that new technology is killing off is the 27 volume encyclopedia. No one wants to spend hundreds to purchase all that heavy shit when you can access the information online now. Other books will be fine. We may see big changes in the industry, especially since it costs legacy publishers the same amount of $$$ to produce an ebook as it does to produce a print book. A rise in independent publishing looks to be the first trend. Is that all bad? Nah. The burden of the marketing will fall on the writer and more great writers might fly under your radar, but at the same time it’s actually a way for more marginalized voices to find their way to being published. Have you seen the stats on how much of contemporary publishing, and reviewing, is still focused on males? WHITE MALES? As an aspiring (female) writer this shit bums me out. Ebooks are all about access and flexibility, and the online access of texts can allow for new transparency and inclusion. SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS. More people getting their hands on more books is not a bad thing. That is a good thing. And even though I have concerns about editorial jobs being increasingly phased out or forced into freelance, and the industry, I’m not going to hate on the ebook, IT MEANS TOO MUCH Change is hard sometimes but goodPROGRESS MOTHERFUCKERSPROGRESS Honestly I roll my eyes at the people who are like GODDAMN EBOOKS like damn I love physical books too but GET OVER YOURSELVES IF ANYONE SHOULD BE PISSED IT’S ME BECAUSE EDITORIAL JOBS ARE SHRINKING, GO BE HIPSTER SOMEWHERE ELSE IF SOMEONE WANTS TO BUY A KINDLE OR A NOOK, LET THEM ROCK ON. I am saving for a Kindle rn myself, NO REGRETS. I will also continue to buy print books. STOP SHAMING PEOPLE WHO GO IN FOR EREADERS. YOU ARE NOT BETTER THAN THEM FOR READING PRINTED BOOKS!! aaaaand think of all the trees you’re saving. well technically you can’t save trees just by buying an eReader, but if companies would stop publishing books and everyone would have eBooks instead then that would be ideal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment